Brooklyn Heights is a residential neighborhood within the New York City borough of Brooklyn. The neighborhood is bounded by Old Fulton Street close the Brooklyn Bridge upon the north, Cadman Plaza West on the east, Atlantic Avenue upon the south, and the Brooklyn–Queens Expressway or the East River on the west. Adjacent neighborhoods are Dumbo to the north, Downtown Brooklyn to the east, and Cobble Hill and Boerum Hill to the south.
Originally referred to as Brooklyn Village, it has been a prominent Place of Brooklyn past 1834. The neighborhood is noted for its low-rise architecture and its many brownstone rowhouses, most of them built prior to the Civil War. It after that has an abundance of notable churches and new religious institutions. Brooklyn’s first art gallery, the Brooklyn Arts Gallery, was opened in Brooklyn Heights in 1958. In 1965, a large share of Brooklyn Heights was protected from unchecked progress by the initiation of the Brooklyn Heights Historic District, the first such district in New York City. The district was other to the National Register of Historic Places in 1966.
Directly across the East River from Manhattan and partnered to it by subways and regular ferry service, Brooklyn Heights is moreover easily accessible from Downtown Brooklyn. Columbia Heights, an upscale six-block-long street adjacent to the Brooklyn Heights Promenade, is sometimes considered to be its own neighborhood.
Brooklyn Heights is allocation of Brooklyn Community District 2, and its primary ZIP Code is 11201. It is patrolled by the 84th Precinct of the New York City Police Department. The New York City Fire Department operates two fire stations near Brooklyn Heights: Engine Company 205/Ladder Company 118 at 74 Middagh Street, and Engine Company 224 at 274 Hicks Street.